School of Unani Medical Education and Research
School of Unani Medical Education and Research (SUMER), earlier known as Jamia Tibbia, was established in 1935 at Gali Qasim Jaan, Delhi and later on adopted by Hamdard Dawakhana in 1963. It was shifted to Hamdard Nagar Campus in 1980 and named as Hamdard Tibbi College under University of Delhi. After the establishment of Jamia Hamdard in 1989, it was merged with the University. It is one of the pioneer institutes of Unani education and research in India.
Presently, the School runs an undergraduate course (BUMS), and a postgraduate course (M.D. Unani) in three disciplines of Unani Medicine i.e. Ilmul Advia, Moalajat and Tahaffuzi Wa Samaji Tibb. The school also runs two short term courses (i) a one-year course Pre-Tibb and (ii) a two- year course Diploma in Unani Pharmacy. It has fourteen departments and an associated, well-established teaching hospital namely Majeedia Unani Hospital.
In consonance with the ethos of Hamdard, School of Unani Medical Education and Research (SUMER) bestows the students with all resources required to become competent, compassionate, morally and socially responsible participants in the healthcare delivery system of the society. SUMER is committed to adopt the NEP-2020 -an initiative of MoE, Govt. of India by adopting SWAYAM-MOOCS and Credit Based learning for interdisciplinary knowledge exchange.
The School has made notable strides in the promotion and propagation of the glory of Unani Medicine nationally and internationally, for which the school has already collaborated with many national and global institutes of repute.
The School has been actively involved in research for last three decades. With the school’s focus on integrative research and adoption of interdisciplinary approach, Jamia Hamdard provides an excellent setting in which academicians, physicians and researchers from different schools present a joint approach for the development of evidence-based scientific data generation, the growing need of the hour for traditional medical science. The dissemination of such scientific knowledge has been regularly carried out through conferences, seminars, webinars, symposia and publications in national and international journals.
- To become the institutional leader of Unani system of medicine in spheres of education, research and healthcare, nationally and internationally.
- Transformation and upgradation of Unani system of medicine as an evidence-based medicine through integration of modern science and technology with a concerted effort at the conservation of traditional knowledge.
- Significant and positive contribution of Unani medicine as means of safe and effective health care system.
- To produce top-notch professionals who have a zeal for perpetual learning and are capable of performing well in diverse professional and cultural settings.
- To provide state of art facilities to conduct evidence based research in Unani Medicine for generation of new knowledge, SOP’s and treatment modalities so as to make the Unani system universally accepted traditional system of medicine.
- To provide students with all the tools required to successfully take on the world, endeavor to instill in them a healthy cultural rootedness that combines the best of traditional values with modern and progressive sensibilities
- To collaborate with many reputed institutes of national and international importance for promotion and endorsement of the Unani system of Medicine as well as for strengthening and amplifying the academic relationships nationally as well as globally for mutual benefits.
1. Department of Kulliyat ( Fundamentals of Unani Medicine)
2. Department of Tashreeh (Anatomy)
3. Department of Munafeul Aza (Physiology)
4. Department of Ilmul Advia ( Pharmacology)
5. Department of Ilmul Saidla (Unani Pharmacy)
6. Department of Mahiyatul Amraz ( Pathology)
7. Department of Tahaffuzi wa Samaji Tib ( Preventive and Social Medicine)
8. Department of Ilaj bil Tadbeer ( Regimenal Therapy)
9. Department of Ilmul Atfal (Paediatrics)
10. Department of Moalajat (Medicine)
11. Department of Jarahiyat (Surgery)
12. Department of Amraz-e-Ain Uzn, Anaf Wa Halaq (Eye and ENT)
13. Department of Amraz-e-Niswan wa Qabalat ( Gynaecology and Obstetrics)
14. Department of Amraz-e-Jild wa Tazeeniyat ( Dermatology and Cosmetology)
1. BUMS (Intake Capacity-50)
2. Pre Tib ((Intake Capacity- 10% of BUMS seats .i.e. 05)
3. MD Moalajat (Intake Capacity-03)
4. MD Ilmul Advia (Intake Capacity-03)
5. MD Tahaffuzi-wa-Samaji Tib (Intake Capacity-03)
6. Diploma in Unani Pharmacy (Intake Capacity-10)
- No stipend is available to the students of M.D. (Moalejat), M.D. (Ilmul Advia) and M.D. (Tahaffuzi wa Samaji Tib) from the Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India. Depending on the availability of resources, Jamia Hamdard may consider providing fellowship (Hkm. Abdul Hameed fellowship) of Rs. 10,000/- per month to some deserving students.
- M.D. Moalijat students are posted in the Majeedia Unani Hospital.
Clinical Material in The Hospital
Awards and Recognitions received by Faculty members
Seminars/ Conferences/ CMEs/ Workshops/ Medical Camps organized
Attendance of Students
Click Here to visit NCISM https://ncismindia.org/
Click Here to visit CCIM https://www.ccimindia.org/
Click Here to visit AYUSH http://ayush.gov.in/about-the-systems/unani