DEPARTMENT OF ILAJ BIL TADBEER
The Department of Ilaj bit Tadbeer is an Undergraduate clinical department, actively involved in academic and clinical work in the discipline of Ilaj bit Tadbeer (Unani Regimenal Therapy). A centre of Ilaj bit Tadbeer has been in existence in Jamia Hamdard since 2003 under the Department of Moalajat. In 2011 it emerged as new department. Recently in 2019, the Department of Ilaj bit Tabdeer has been separated from the Department of Moalejat and exists as an independent department. Ilaj bit Tadbeer is a holistic mode of treatment, defined in Unani medicine as that mode of treatment which is based on ‘modification of Asbab-e-Sitta Zaruriyah (Six essential factors)’, i.e., Hawa-e-Muheet (Surrounding air), Makool wa mashroob (Food and drinks), Harkat wa Sukoon e Badani (physical activity and repose), Harkat wa Sukoon e Nafsani (mental activity and repose), Nawm wa Yaqza (sleep and wakefulness), and Ihtebas wa Istifragh (evacuation and retention). In essence, Ilaj bit Tadbeer aims to cure diseases and restore health by correcting the basic factors which may have caused or contributed to it in the first place. Hence, it plays a role in the management of most communicable and non-communicable diseases, and also takes into consideration the psychological factors.
The Ilaj bit Tadbeer OPD of Majeedia Unani Hospital is managed by the faculty members of the department. The OPD caters to patients of various lifestyle disorders, dermatological, neurological and musculoskeletal disorders etc. Facilities are present for various therapies including Hijamah bila Shart (cupping without scarification), Hijamah bil Shart (cupping with scarification), Ta’leeq (Leech Therapy), Fasd (Phlebotomy), Riyazat (therapeutic exercise), Hammam (Turkish Bath), Nutool (Irrigation), Dalk (Therapeutic massage), Inkebab (Medicated steam Bath), Aabzan (Sitz Bath), Pashoya (Foot bath), etc. In addition, the department is focussing on clinical research and development of SOPs for different regimens performed in the hospital. Excellent therapeutic and palliative improvement has been observed in various disorders particularly Sciatica, Osteoarthritis, cervical spondylosis, lumbar spondylosis, frozen shoulder, insomnia, post-febrile arthralgia, PIVD (prolapsed intervertebal disc), diabetic gangrene, non-healing ulcers, post-stroke rehabilitation, psoriasis, alopecia, and many more.
The department has published approximately 100 papers in various journals of national and international repute, including publications in high impact factor journals recognised by Thomson Reuters; and published books on important topics in Unani medicine. Besides this, the department members have been awarded 06 awards, presented papers in various national and international conferences in India and abroad, delivered more than 20 invited lectures,In addition, the faculty members have participated in more than 80 international and national conferences. Also, one patent (Application No.201911043046 A) titled “A NOVEL HERBAL COMPOSITION FOR TREATING LOWER GENITAL TRACT INFLAMMATION AND INFECTIONS” has been published. Faculty members of the department are actively involved in various important committees of Jamia Hamdard, Aligarh Muslim University; and are also deputed for teaching in other Schools of Jamia Hamdard.
Vision and Mission
To impart high quality teaching and research training in the Subject of Unani Regimenal Therapies to help students to know the basic concept & knowledge and implementation of these therapeutic modalities for management of different diseases.
- Offer undergraduate teaching and research, and seeking postgraduate research degree of highest level of standards.
- Research to scientifically validate and develop standard operative procedures of ancient classical therapeutic modalities mentioned under Ilaj bit Tadbeer and their application in clinical practices to generate structured data.
- Generate awareness of Unani regimenal therapeutic modalities through various outreach programs, training programs and collaborative research.
- Collaborate with institutions of National and international repute for knowledge development through faculty and student exchange.
The department is involved in teaching the subject of Ilaj bit Tadbeer in BUMS 3rd year.
1. Dr. Farkhunda Jabin
Associate Professor & Head of the Department
2. Dr. Sadia Nikhat
- Exploration of Scientific basis of ancient classical regimens of Ilaj bit Tadbeer (Unani Regimenal Therapy)
- Especially Scientific Validation of Hijamah (Cupping) Therapy on Human body in different Diseases
- Clinical research and focusing on development of SOP’s for different regimens performed
- Health promotion and Disease Prevention
- Clinical Research Focusing on Asbabe Sitta Zaruriyah and its role in treatment & prevention of Diseases
- Mohammad Fazil, Sadia Nikhat. Exploring new Horizons in healthcare: A Mechanistic review on the potential of Unani medicines in combating epidemics of infectious diseases. Phytotherapy Research, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1002/ptr.6949
- Mohammad Fazil, Sadia Nikhat, Imran Ali. An Insight into Unani Hypoglycemic Drugs and their Mechanism of Action. Combinatorial Chemistry and High Throughput Screening, 2021. doi: 10.2174/1386207323666200717143540.
- Sadia Nikhat, Mohammad Fazil. Overview of Covid-19; its prevention and management in the light of Unani medicine. Science of the Total Environment, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2020.112878, ISSN 0378-8741.
- Farkhunda Jabin. A Guiding tool in Unani Tibb for maintenance and preservation of health: a review study. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2011. doi: 10.4314/ajtcam.v8i5S.7.
- S Tariq Murtaza, Ashish Kumar Katiyar, Farkhunda Jabin. Anthropometric Profile of Mentally Challenged Children. Indian Journal of Public Health Research and Development An International Journal, 2020. http://medicopublication.com/index.php/ijphrd/article/view/14243
- Dr. Farkhunda Jabin. Fusool-e-Buqrati (Translation from Persian). Published Mishkat Publishers, 1st Edition, 2015. ISBN 978-93-84354-04-6.
- Dr. Farkhunda Jabin. Qaumi Sehati Program. In: Textbook of Hifzan-e-Sehat by National Council for Promotion of Urdu Language.
- Prof. Suhail Fatima, Dr. Farkhunda Jabin. A Novel Herbal Composition for Treating Lower Genital Tract Inflammation and Infections. Patent Office Journal No. 18/2021 dated 30. 04. 2021. http://ipindia.gov.in/writereaddata/Portal/ipoJournal/1_4973_1/Part-1.pdf
- AYUSH Wellness Clinic: Department of Ilaj bit Tadbeer organized AYUSH Wellness Clinic showcasing the different regimens of Ilaj bit Tadbeer on the occasion of International Conference on Food processing , Nutrition and fortification with Emphasis on Vit D, organized by SIST and SUMER at Jamia Hamdard New Delhi. On 5-6 march 2020
- AYUSH Wellness Clinic: Department of Ilaj bit Tadbeer organized AYUSH Wellness Clinic showcasing the different regimens of Ilaj bit Tadbeer on the occasion of SFEC 2020 International Congress of Society for Ethnopharmacology, India. On 15-16 February 2020 organized by School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, at Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi.
- Health Camp: Department of Ilaj bit Tadbeer in collaboration with Department of Moalejat organized Free Medical Camp On Bone And Joint Health Of Senior Citizens at Kalkaji Senior Citizen Welfare Forum, MCD Community centre, New Delhi on 10 March 2019.
- CME on World AIDS Day: Department of Ilaj bit Tadbeer in collaboration with Department of Moalejat organized CME on HIV /AIDS- Unite in the Fight on the eve of World AIDS day on 29 November 2018.