ABOUT THE DEPATRTMENT:
The department is well equipped with conventional and modern sophisticated analytical equipments such as GC-MS, HPTLC, Preparative & analytical HPLC, Super Critical Fluid Extractor, Flash chromatography, fermenters etc. The faculty members of department also have various research and industrially sponsored consultancy projects of rupees more than 16.5 crores. The research projects are funded by various government agencies such as UGC, AICTE, DST, DBT, CSIR and ICMR etc. We have SAP-DSR-II, DST-FIST and AICTE- MORDROPS. The faculty members and students of the department are involved in high quality research work. They have published their research work in various national and international journals of high repute and presented in various national and international conferences. The faculty members and students of the department have got various national and international awards and patents. Some faculty members and students of the department have developed technology for the production of phytobiactive compounds and transferred the technology to national and international companies.
The Department of Pharmacognosy & Phytochemistry which also includes Pharmaceutical Biotechnology has multidisciplinary collaboration with Dabur India Ltd, AIMIL Pharmaceuticals, Dolphin International, Fermish Clinical Technology, GBC, Beijing, China and Ultimax H USA.
To provide international quality higher education and undertake cutting-edge research in the fields of natural science and technology and particularly promote study of modern and traditional medicine systems, especially Unani and Ayurveda encompassing a holistic and integrative approach to healthcare and to meet societal education needs of underprivileged Indian communities.
Keeping in view the vision of Jamia Hamdard the followings are the missions of the Department
- To promote and advance the cause of higher education through modern methods of teaching and advanced research in Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry.
- To co-operate, collaborate and associate with national and international organizations and institutions in any part of the world having mission wholly or partly similar to the Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry .
- To provide avenues for higher education leading to excellence and innovations in such Branches of knowledge as may be deemed fit primarily at under-graduate, post-graduate and doctoral levels, fully conforming to the concept and idea of the Jamia Hamdard.
- M.Pharm. Pharmacognosy (4 Semesters programme)
- M.Pharm. Pharmaceutical Biotechnology (4 Semesters programme)
- Ph.D. in Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry
- Ph.D. in Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry with specialization in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Dr. S.H. Ansari, M.Pharm, Ph.D., D. Sc., Professor
- Dr. Vidhu Aeri, M.Pharm, Ph.D., Professor & Dean
- Dr. Mohd. Mujeeb, M.Pharm, Ph. D., Professor & Head
- Dr. Showkat Rasool Mir, M.Pharm, Ph.D, Associate Professor
- Dr. Bibhu Prasad Panda, M.Pharm, Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Sayeed Ahmad, M.Pharm, Ph.D., Associate Professor
- Dr. Adil Ahmad, M.Pharm, Ph.D., Assistant Professor (Contractual)
THRUST AREA OF RESEARCH
- Development of Natural Product Process
- Development of Herbaceuticals and Phytobioactive compounds based nano formulations.
- Chemical Analysis & Bioprocess and Fermentation Technology.
- Quality Control and Standardization of Botanicals and Natural Products
- Development of Monographs of Botanicals and Natural Products
- Stability, safety and metabolomics studies on Herbal Drugs
- Molecular and chromatographic profiling of Herbal Drugs
- Two UG Modular Laboratories for D.Pharm and B.Pharm
- Two PG Modular Well Equipped Research Laboratories for M. Pharm
- Five Ph.D Modular. Well-Equipped Research Laboratories
Centre of Excellence in Unani medicines
Instrumentations: Department has state of art instruments for analysis of drugs like SFE, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, HPTLC, HPLC, UV-visible spectrophotometer, Gel Dock machine, Flash Chromatography machine, Preparative HPLC, Fermenters and other basic equipment of extraction.
RESEARCH PROJECTS OF DEPARTMENT
- Centre of excellence in Unani medicines- CCRUM- Department of AYUSH, 2022-2025, 10 crores
- Development of IT Tool for Identity of Crude powdered Botanicals through Analytical Microscopy”, DBT-BIRAC-PACE , 2019-2021, 42.20lakhs.
- Establishment of Cell Culture Facility, UGC/DRS-II (SAP-II) 2018-2023, 130.50 lakhs
- Establishment of HPCCC facility for Development of Phytopharmaceuticals, MODROB, AICTE, 2019-2021, 12 lakhs.
- Drugs and Nutraceuticals from Natural Resource, DST FIST, 2018-2023, 86 lakhs.
- “One day seminar on Role of GC-MS, Flash Chromatography, HPTLC and SFE for herbal drug development”;17Jan, 2011, UGC-SAP, 350
- “Regulatory and quality aspects of herbal drugs and botanicals,” 1Feb 2014,UGC-SAP, 450
- “Regulatory and quality aspects of herbal drugs and botanicals,” 1Feb 2020, UGC-SAP, 2000
- Three Days 7th International Congress of Society for Ethnopharmacoogy (SFEC 2020) on 15- 17th Feb 2020 at SPER, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi with 2100 delegates, > 200 speakers in six parallel session, > 900 abstracts, from 45 countries.
- One Day Workshop on “GCMS Metabolomics and HPTLC in collaboration with Agilent Technologies and Anchrom on 14th Feb 2020 at SPER, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Three Days National Workshop of Centre of Excellence in Unani Medicine on “COMPETENCY DEVELOPMENT OF AYUSH PROFESSIONALS” Sponsored by AYURSWAS THYA YOJANA SCHEME (S-12013/2/2021-SCHEME) Ministry of AYUSH, Govt of India, July 27-29, 2022 at SPER, Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi with approx. 200 delegates.
- Two Days International IASTAM 2022 CONCLAVE (IASTAM 2022) on “Multi-Targeted Therapeutics in Unani and Ayurvedic Medicine & Food Supplement” on July 29-30, 2022 at Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi with 800 delegates, > 100 speakers in four parallel session, > 300 abstracts.
Prof. (Dr.) Mohd Mujeeb
Head, Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Jamia Hamdard (Deemed to be University) New Delhi Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Mobile: 09212050090
Department of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry School of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Jamia Hamdard (Deemed to be University) New Delhi Email: email@example.com Mobile: 07982736296