The Department of Biochemistry, established in the year 1994, is recognized for its best practices and excellence in higher education and research in India and abroad. The Department of Biochemistry offers B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. programmes. The faculty is highly accomplished and is involved in cutting-edge research in the field of biological sciences.
Apart from grants from various prestigious funding agencies such as CSIR, ICMR, CCRUM, DST and DBT, the department is a recipient of the UGC Special Assistance Program (UGC-SAP) and has been upgraded to DRS II. The Department has also been granted "Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure (FIST)" by the Department of Science & Technology (DST), Government of India.
The department is equipped with smart classrooms and with dedicated and well-equipped labs for PG and UG students, which is in addition to the Central Instrumentation Facility of the School. Department also has a dedicated instrumentation facility equipped with some of the high end equipments. Over the years, the Department has developed facilities for high precision analytical work and has acquired equipments and tools for cellular and molecular research including the facility to work on cell lines. The academic curriculum is periodically revised in consultation with external experts and with the approval of the Board of Studies and Academic Council to keep the students abreast with current trends in Biochemistry. The syllabus is well aligned with the key national level scholarship programs like CSIR, DBT, ICMR, etc. Hands-on training is imparted to students in most of the contemporary areas, which prepares them to undertake research in cutting-edge fields for their PhD within the university or outside. There is a fine balance in class room teaching and hands-on experimental training.
VISION AND MISSION
The Department aspires to be a centre of excellence that promotes the understanding of the molecular events that trigger normal and pathological functions in medicine and other allied health sciences. In addition, the Department must be highly skilled in transferring such knowledge and education to students and also educate the general public.
The Department of Biochemistry sees as its mission to:
- Offer a high-quality course in Biochemistry appropriate for students interested in medicine and other allied health studies.
- Be a leading force for advancing society through the continuous pursuit of educational excellence and cutting-edge research.
- Encourage industry academia collaboration in the areas of research, knowledge sharing and job placements.
- Develop public outreach programs (rural schools and colleges) specially on select days like Science Day and Earth Day.
- Sign MoUs with national and international Universities/Institutes, to improve funding and also provide better exposure to our students. Inter school collaborations within the university would also be encouraged.
- Improve our research in thrust areas of protein biochemistry, drug development, host pathogen interaction and computational biology as a mandate of our departmental grants.
i) B.Sc. Honors/B.Sc. (Biochemistry): 4/3 Years Program
ii) M.Sc. (Biochemistry): 2 Years Program
iii) Ph.D. (Biochemistry)
Dr. Shakir Ali, M.Sc., Ph.D., Professor & Head, Ext. 5518
Dr. Rana Zaidi, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D., Professor
Prof. Faizan Ahmad, INSA Senior Scientist
Dr. Farah Khan, M.Sc., Ph.D., Associate Professor
Dr. Sayeed ur Rehman Abul Kalam., Assistant Professor
Dr. Mohan Kamthan., Assistant Professor
Dr. Saurabh Pandey., Assistant Professor
Dr. Vikas Sood. UGC FPR., Assistant Professor
Dr. Nikhat Parween, Assistant Professor, Ph.D (C)
Dr, Neha Chanana, Assistant Professor, Ph.D (C)
Non Teaching Staff
Mohd Alam Ansari
Mr. Hafizur Rehman