The department is headed by Ms. Veena Sharma, Associate Professor.
To enable nursing students to become empathetic mental health professional, engaged in promotion of mental health, prevention of mental illness, identification, care and rehabilitation of the mentally ill.
Activities undertaken by the department
- Health education programme on ‘Post-Natal Care of Mother and Newborn’ was conducted in HAHC Hospital, Delhi, on 10th January, 2014.
- Puppet show and story telling programme were organized for 25 children having mental retardation at Child Development Centre, Jamia Milia Islamia, New Delhi, on 13th February, 2014.
- Psychodrama was organized at ‘Vishwasniya’ Nasha Mukti Kendra (drug deaddiction and rehabilitation centre), at Govind Puri, New Delhi. 25 inmates and few volunteers and staff of the rehab centre attended the programme. The psychodrama dramatized the maladaptive ways of coping with life’s problems and alternative adaptive ways as well. This was followed by an audio-visual show of an episode ‘Satyamev Jayte’, a popular T.V. talk show, which highlighted the heart touching, first-hand testimonies by common people, whose lives were majorly affected by alcohol addiction.
- Street play and health education session was organized at new O.P.D, H.A.H.C. Hospital. The aim was to generate awareness among the general public about mental illness, its causes, signs and symptoms and treatment modalities available. Special emphasis was given on the mental health services available at H.A.H.C. Hospital, so that a large number of people from neighbouring areas avail them.
- The students of B.Sc (Hons) Nursing 3rd year educated the patients and their care givers through a role play on “Depression” on 3rd December 2013 at Day Care Centre in Vimhans Hospital, New Delhi.
- A Mental Health Awareness Programme was organised by B.Sc. (H) Nursing 3rd year students at VIMHANS hospital, Nehru Nagar on 10-01-14. Role Play on the following current burning issues in Mental Health Care-Alchohol Dependence Syndrome, Breaking myths on Mental Illness and Drug Compliance were imparted
- The DGNM students also actively conducted psycho education sessions on topics like “Alchoholism and its Prevention” and “Stress Management” at VIMHANS Hospital, New Delhi on 17th January and 25th February 2014
- The faculty employs different methods of teaching like seminar, quiz, peer group teaching, group project and simulations. The faculty members have published 9 research and non-research papers in various indexed nursing journals in the academic year 2013-14.