The department is headed by Mrs. Urmila Bhardwaj.
Vision for the future:
To enable students to become empathetic community health professional, engaged in promotion of health, prevention of illness, change in lifestyle, attitude and believes, and rehabilitation of the community at large with community mobilization.
Activities of the department
- A group health education project was conducted on “Prevention of Malnutrition” on 1st August 2013 by BSc 4th year students in which various health services were provided including health assessment, interventions for treatment of malnutrition, health education on various prevalent problems of under-5 children and distribution of nutritious diet to mothers and under-5 children.
- Students of GNM 3rd year organized a community based activity on 1st Feb. 2014 on MCH Care. Antenatal check-up, under-5 assessment, treatment of minor ailments of mothers and children, referral of sick persons, health education programmes and distribution of nutritious diet are some of the main attraction of the programme.
- An eye camp was organized in Rufaida Health centre with the support of HAHC Hospital, Jamia Hamdard. In this programme our BSc 4th nursing year students actively participated and gave health education on eye care, nutritious diet for healthy eyes, first aid for minor eye problems, prevention of blindness etc. the students also assisted ophthalmologist in eye assessment and treatment of eye disorders.
- The students regularly conduct health education programmes for prevention of diseases and promotion of health of people. Also various health days are observed by our students and they actively participated in AIDS Day, Cancer prevention Day, World Health Day, Tobacco Prevention Day,World Diabetes Day ,Breast feeding week, etc.
- Besides teaching students the theoretical approach, practical field experience is given through clinical exposure in health centres like Maternity home, Badarpur, Rufaida Health Centre, Sangam Vihar.
- Students undertake School Health Services like physical and nutritional assessment of school children .also an awareness campaign for school children regarding avoidance of junk food and adaption and modification of home prepared food is successfully started.
- Students actively take part in various community health programmes conducted by various health agencies. They actively conduct various health surveys to find out the health problems of community people and carry out necessary nursing interventions to solve them and provide referral as needed.